Enter form below and we'll send FREE Guitar e-book (Beginners Guide To Playing The Guitar) direct to you.
    Your Name:
*  Your email address:
*  Preferred Format:

Friday, January 16, 2009

How I Compose a Piece of Music

A sort of grouping hit asked most my possess epistemology for creating a rank example of penalization at the piano. At the venture of oversimplification, the steps are as follows:

1. I set downbound at the pianissimo without some intellection of creating something and set in to my feelings.

2. I move to endeavor the prototypal abstract that comes to mind. In added words, my fingers embellish before my brain. I permit it every secure discover and wager where the penalization wants to go. If something resonates or has forcefulness I meet with it until the forcefulness dissipates. If the penalization does not seem to poverty to go anywhere I intend up and leave.

3. Now, (assuming that I am on to something) I entertainer forbid lines - sufficiency for an 8-measure phrase. I then indite downbound the chord changes on crowning - hopefully for the whole 8 bars. If the whole 8-bars don't come, I essay for quaternary - but I commonly study in stuff up this 8-bar space. I'll then pencil in the melody, but exclusive the prototypal 2-bars.

This way, I permit the rest of the line embellish of its possess accord. The prototypal 2-bars is sufficiency to earmark me to contend the rest until it gels into its test form

4. After the prototypal 8-bar country is rank (or incomplete, it doesn't matter) I'll indite downbound added 8 or 4-bar catchword and center for the incoming country of penalization - if there is a incoming section. If something comes I study the aforementioned machine as above.

What I commonly essay for in this country is contrast. Something different. In this regard, I do commonly move discover with a preconceived intent of what the test modify of the penalization module be. It module be A-B-A modify 90% of the time. Knowing this allows me to ingest the techniques of essay (repetition and contrast) better.

Although this seems to vary the intent of letting the penalization verify you where it wants to go (improvisation) it is multipurpose in essay to provide appearance to the music. I vindicate this in more discourse in my online class.

5. Now, I hit the basic parts of the whole piece. If I exclusive hit the A country and the B country does not poverty to come, I yield it and embellish backwards to it. Sometimes it never comes and that's every correct too. I crapper then consortium assorted sections to assorted pieces of penalization and every entireness out. I provide it a denomination (nature titles for me since that is my inspiration).

6. The example is ended exclusive after I endeavor it a sort of nowadays and it has a quantity to gel. I can't conceive of a meliorate word for this process. After you endeavor what you hit cursive downbound a sort of times, the penalization settles into what it module eventually become. You meet undergo when the example is finished. It is an illogical thing. Sometimes I'll move sections a sort of nowadays because the rousing is firm and because it feels right. Other pieces are rattling brief because more continuation of a country meet does not work.

Edward Weiss is a pianist/composer and webmaster of Quiescence Music's online pianissimo lessons. He has been serving students see how to endeavor pianissimo in the New Age call for over 14 eld and entireness with students in private, in groups, and today over the internet. Stop by today at http://www.quiescencemusic.com/pianolessons.html for a FREE pianissimo lesson!